Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ryan Gosling and the knitting needles

Aha!  Seems like Ryan has discovered just how enjoyable and relaxing a craft involving needles and textiles can be!

Ryan, I coulda told you this a long time ago, man.  Being introduced to counted cross stitch while recuperating from back surgery was definitely a blessing in disguise for me.  Yes, it was relaxing! Yes, I had something I made with my own two hands when done!  It gave me something positive to concentrate on, rather than the pain that was beginning tondrive me mad. And, anyone who says it's a craft for little old ladies obviously hasn't taken a look at the vast array of charts available today or tried it for themselves.

The world of arts and crafts has been making a resurgence since the likes of mega craft stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts started popping up in just about every suburban area around the country.  And the local needlework shop (LNS) still continues to exist despite the claims that these crafts are long gone. Online shops abound which sell everything you'd need or desire to create a stitched piece resembling just about anything from a Quaker sampler from centuries ago to "modern" abstract designs or samplers rife with four letter words meant to shock and amuse.  Etsy.com allows crafters of all kinds to market their handmade wares or locate crafting materials like antique linens and buttons.

I love this craft. I just wish the stigma that cross stitch isn't something for men would die out already.

Maybe Ryan will become the Rosie Grier of the new millennium? ;)

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/ryan-gosling-reveals-perfect-day-activity-knitting-233524840.html

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you blogging, Kevin. Now you just need to add your photos! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa! I'm trying to figure out all the possibilities of this whole blogging experience. Think I may have actually figured out how to post pics this morning - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed at the moment. Ha ha ha. Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by! Kevin

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our village we have a very manly man who cross stitches the most amazing samplers. He gives the ladies a run for their money in the local shows.

    ReplyDelete